One of the leaders in innovation for the chemical industryApply
Synthos are looking for solutions in non-halogen flame retardants.
Synthos are one of the largest manufacturers of chemical raw materials in Poland. Their products can be found in most Polish households – probably also in yours. Synthos manufacture the largest volumes of synthetic rubber and expandable polystyrene in Europe.
For the sake of environment, they constantly control impact of the chemicals on the environment. It's one of the reasons that their solutions stand on the highest posible level, providing their clients with an advantage based on the latest technologies.
Synthos are looking for effective non-halogen flame retardants. Solutions should meet most of the following criteria:
- Cost of flame retardant per 1 kg of EPS < 0,05 EUR/kg
- Hydrophobic, easy miscible with monomer (styrene) and polymer (polystyrene), providing homogenous dispersion
- Partial or complete solubility in monomer / polymer will be beneficial
- Typical concentration in polymer up to 1.5%
- Has to have ability to biodegradation without creation of toxic behaviour (applied to organic substance mainly)
- Oligomeric or polymeric structure will be beneficial to prevent migration with water do the environment
- If migration could occur, molecule / oligo- or macromolecule has to be non-pollutant, non-hazardous, non-persistent, non-bioaccumulative, non-toxic
- Not soluble in water
- Resistant for temperature up 300°C with decomposition temperature starting at 250°C
- Should be active in gas phase and solid phase with ability to char formation
- Should be white in colour
- Should be fine powder easy to disperse or soluble in monomer
- Can be granulated form but in that cause solubility in monomer is mandatory
- Should be resistant for UV degradation
- Should be resistant for thermo-oxidative degradation
- Should be inert for polymerization, and do not interact with free radicals or react with peroxides and radical initiations
- Bulk density in range of 0.5-0.8 g/cm3
- Specific density 1.5-2.0 g/cm3
- Melting, softening around 120 °C (not necessary for inorganic compositions as fillers)
- EPS with addition of such flame retardant should be capable for recycling via compounding process or chemical process (flame retardant should be easy to extract, separate, purify and use again)
- When recycled and used again in pure form or regranulate form, the flame retardant should maintain its physical, chemical properties and flame retardancy
- Have identified the solutions stage of development
- Have described the concept or product in the key description
- Now be focused on developing their go-to-market strategy and approach
- Validate your business model and value proposition by both Synthos experts and experts out of the Synthos Network
- Build relationships with Synthos and its partners
- Opportunities to collaborate with Synthos possibly augmented with an investment
If you have or are developing solutions in this area and would like us to put your solution in front of Synthos, please click "Apply" to submit your solution to the Network.