This cognitive high frequency (HF) radio has the ability to overcome interference by changes in the ionosphere through its antenna.
Cognitive HF Radio with Tuned Compact Antenna
Tech ID: UA16-160
This invention is a high frequency (HF) radio with a compact and highly configurable antenna with the ability to overcome interference by changes in the ionosphere. This antenna utilizes machine learning and optimization methods to adjust to the environment.
Long-distance HF communication relies on ionospheric reflections, especially from the "F" layer. The problem with HF communication is that propagation via the ionosphere can be very unreliable. In addition, within the HF frequency band, different frequencies have different propagation characteristics via the ionosphere. This novel technology unifies the ideal characteristics of a radio.
Status: issued U.S. patent #10,903,918
- Provides long-range reliable HF communication under highly dynamic channel environments
- Versatile in configuration of the radio
- Uses intelligent programming, like optimization and machine learning, to configure its digital aspect
- Allows for easy implementation of updates in machine learning and optimization
- Communication in extreme environments where radio frequency (RF) communication is not sufficient
- Military communication
- Potential for adoption in deep-sea communication to adjust to different pressures, light sources, etc.
- Potential for use as a reliable, unobtrusive intercom system